Feeling Like You Don’t Fit In Because Of Your Faith
If you have been a Christian for any length of time you have certainly felt the pain of not fitting in or being misunderstood for your position on a social topic because of your faith. Jesus was also misunderstood and persecuted for His faith. Here are some scriptures that I hope will encourage you in your journey.
Jesus declared in Matthew 5 :11-13, “Blessed are you when men cast insults at you, and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, on account of Me. ‘Rejoice, and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how will it be made salty again? It is good for nothing anymore, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men(I suggest you study all of Matthew 5).
Today, a beautiful young woman from China contacted me for prayer as her family members hurt her deeply. She was taking a stand to not marry a man, whom she didn’t love who is not a Christian. The word says that we are not to be unequally yoked (2 Cor. 6:14).
· Philippians 1:6 And so I am sure that God, who began this good work in you, will carry it on until it is finished on the Day of Christ Jesus.
The Holy Spirit will teach you and guide you through life. God will comfort you even now as you call on Him. Rest in Him. Trust in Him.
· Ephesians 2:4-6 But God's mercy is so abundant, and his love for us is so great, that while we were spiritually dead in our disobedience he brought us to life with Christ. It is by God's grace that you have been saved. In our union with Christ Jesus he raised us up with him to rule with him in the heavenly world.
There will be times here where you will not fit in so it is so important to find community with people who are of like faith.
· Matthew 10:29-31 For only a penny you can buy two sparrows, yet not one sparrow falls to the ground without your Father's consent. As for you, even the hairs of your head have all been counted. So do not be afraid; you are worth much more than many sparrows!
God values you! You are precious in His sight and those who value holiness and godliness they too will value you!
· Psalm 139:13-14 You created every part of me; you put me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because you are to be feared; all you do is strange and wonderful. I know it with all my heart.
Trust your heart and the truth of God’s word. Call on Him to give you comfort when you are feeling set apart. But know that God has a great reason for creating you and He will see you through the sadness of not being understood.
Scriptures are taken from: Not Fitting In by Fritz Chery
What does the Bible say about not fitting in?
· Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
If you are truly walking with the Lord, you will not look like the rest of the world. It’s not easy, but your Father will strengthen you in difficult times. He will perfect you for His glory. Renew your mind with the truth on the Gospel and speak His truth over your life.
· Luke 6:26 What sorrow awaits you who are praised by the crowds, for their ancestors also praised false prophets.
Choose wisely those whom you want to be honored by. Our character should look like Jesus’. We are to be holy and He is holy.
· James 4:4 You unfaithful people! Don’t you know that love for this evil world is hatred toward God? Whoever wants to be a friend of this world is an enemy of God.
Being faithful to God may bring ridicule by those who do not serve the Lord, but ask yourself, would you rather be an enemy to God?
As Christians we will not fit in with worldly people .
· John 15:18-20 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also.
· Matthew 10:22 And all nations will hate you because you are my followers. But everyone who endures to the end will be saved.
· 2 Timothy 3:11-14 You know about all the troubles and hard times I have had. You have seen how I suffered in the cities of Antioch and Iconium and Lystra. Yet the Lord brought me out of all those troubles. Yes! All who want to live a God-like life who belong to Christ Jesus will suffer from others. Sinful men and false teachers will go from bad to worse. They will lead others the wrong way and will be led the wrong way themselves. But as for you, hold on to what you have learned and know to be true. Remember where you learned them.
Are you willing to lose your life? You must count the cost of being a Christian.
· Luke 14:27-28″And if you do not carry your own cross and follow me, you cannot be my disciple. But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first calculating the cost to see if there is enough money to finish it?
There is a cost for living a godly life, but the benefit of knowing the Lord is so great. I’m not just speaking of eternal life, but eternal life from the day of salvation with a loving God who is always there to guide, love, and strengthen you.
· Matthew 16:25-27If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul? For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father and will judge all people according to their deeds.
May our deeds speak volumes to the power and glory of God.
Remove yourself from difficult relationships or at least set up healthy boundaries.
· 1 Corinthians 15:33 Don’t let anyone deceive you. Associating with bad people will ruin decent people.
We are to share our faith with love to those who don’t know the Lord. But, be careful how much time you spend with unbelievers. Are you influencing them or are they influencing you?
· 2 Corinthians 6:14-15 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
Always be a person who shows love, as God loved the world so much that He gave His son Jesus Christ, but make sure to practice righteousness and call on the Holy Spirit to guide you with unhealthy relationships. Ask the Lord for greater wisdom and discernment.
· Proverbs 13:20-21 Spend time with the wise and you will become wise, but the friends of fools will suffer. Trouble always comes to sinners, but good people enjoy success.
Your life will prosper as you find other believers to spend your time with.
Suffering for what is right.
· 1 Peter 2:19 For this is a gracious thing, when, mindful of God, one endures sorrows while suffering unjustly.
· 1 Peter 3:14 But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. AND DO NOT FEAR THEIR INTIMIDATION, AND DO NOT BE TROUBLED
We are called to suffer with Christ, yet no one really enjoys suffering. We don’t even want to talk about it. Yet, God promises us that if we suffer for our faith we will be blessed.
Romans 8:38-39 Yes, I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor ruling spirits, nothing now, nothing in the future, no powers, nothing above us, nothing below us, nor anything else in the whole world will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
God is always with us! He’s cheering us on in our walk of faith. You are being perfected in your faith as you keep your eyes on Jesus and the call for which you have been called. You are a child of God and God will empower you to run the race and finish it well as your focus is not to fit in, but instead to be sanctified and set apart for His glory and honor for the world to see.
· 1 Thessalonians 4: Finally then, brethren, we request and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us instruction as to how you ought to walk and please God (just as you actually do walk), that you excel still more. For you know what commandments we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus. For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor, not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God; and that no man transgress and defraud his brother in the matter because the Lord is the avenger in all these things, just as we also told you before and solemnly warned you. For God has not called us for the purpose of impurity, but in sanctification. So, he who rejects this is not rejecting man but the God who gives His Holy Spirit to you.
· Now as to the love of the brethren, you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another; for indeed you do practice it toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, to excel still more, and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you, so that you will behave properly toward outsiders...
The word is so clear. You are in good company when you feel that you don’t “fit in”. When you are walking with God you are sanctifiedand will not “fit in” with many who do not know God.
This is my prayer for you: Numbers 6:23-27 May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you. May the Lord life up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.